Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Paper Play

The exam is continuing without a hitch, and I have completed all my admin. Now it is time to play.
I decorated my paper swap envelope(below) ready to be mailed to Orit Kahana in Israel with this beautiful portrait.



 I use my son's old school exercise books as collage books. I don't cover up all the contants as it sometimes works with the pictures and textures I use.

 I make photocopies of anything that has an interesting pattern or texture. For the cover I have used a photocopy of an embroidered doily which belonged to my late mom-in-law, "Gogo" (Grandmother in Zulu)



I have combined a line drawing by my youngest son, Pierre with a photo of me and my grand-daughter

My maternal grandfather, "Oupa" Japie Venter was a sheep farmer from Dortrecht in the Eastern Cape. He spoke fluent Xhosa and had a tremendous sense of humour, He also told wonderful stories, especially "Jackals en Wolf"

After retirement he and my "Ouma" Engela traveled the country in their VW Beetle, staying with their children and other relatives in turn. Oupa was a keen freshwater fisherman and we ate fish for breakfast every day on holiday at Nature's Valley when they accompanied us there. he caught fish in the Groot River (the Lagoon as we knew it)

"Ouma" did beautiful crochet work and collected small shells which she attached to the edges of doilies and tea-nets. She also travelled with a box of shells collected at the seaside and carefully washed - her personal treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment